Direct links:  Degree Works    Duck Trax    Texan Facts   Class Roster    CoreCurriculum/TCCNS Conversion

Current Drop Info       Graduation Deadline Info  Graduate Forms


Registration information

SFAALST to look up students in any course

How to view 3 week and 8 week sessions in the DuckTrax Class Schedule Search:


TEXAN SERVICES now includes Admissions, Financial Aid, Registrar, Residential Living and Learning, Scholarships, Texan Card, Veterans Service in the Tarleton Center.




3-Peat rule


Academic Advising Services


Academic Calendar


Banner proper


Building codes


Choosing a major


Course Substitution Form

Do not fill out subs; stamp in corner

Attach copy of Transfer Courework by ID (Texan Facts)  highlight relevant courses


Faculty/Staff Directory


Fine Arts Core


Graduation Application


Hold info


Meningitis vaccine





     Departmental Forms


Student Forms


Supp. Instr. Courses (SI)


Suspension (Catalog)


Suspension (Advising)


Teacher Education Program


Texan Facts

Specialized; New Student Advising Sheet

Admissions/Recruiting; Articulated transcript

Look here for transfer hours




TSU Catalog


Tuition and Fee Calculator




UID Lookup


Undergraduate Funding Limit

from Fall 2006, only 30 extra hours


Writing Intensive Courses


Advisor Check List


Banner Abbrev.


Degree plan filed (how to find out)


Depts that want to remove their own dept advising holds



Q-Drop form

Qs don't count against you until 12th class day

Go over purple part of the form

Dropping Developmental Courses


Excessive Hours appeals


Financial Aid Appeals






Housing and Meals


NCAA Eligibility




Procedures for New Students




Transcripts (Web Extender)


Undergraduate Funding Limits


VA Benefits




Departmental Information










Industrial Technology

Interdisciplinary Studies



Liberal Studies



Psychology majors

Science and Technology

Social Work

Teacher Ed Program



Course substitutions:

  • Assist the student in completion of the upper portion of this form, leaving all lines referring to Academic Advisor blank, as well as the grid provided to list proposed course substitutions

  • Phone the department to verify the availability of a departmental advisor before sending the student to the department

  • Attach a copy of the Transfer Coursework by Student ID , found in Texan Facts, to the Substitution Form

  • Affix Academic Advising Services stamp in the upper right hand corner, date and initial


  1. Log into My Gateway

  2. Schedule Planner New under DuckTrax

  3. Add courses to take next term

  4. Add breaks to block off times for no class

  5. Click "View" to view schedules

  6. When you've found a schedule you like, click "Send to Cart" to begin registration





 Below you will find the best match algorithm that DW uses when deciding to use one course over another. 

1.       Grade Rank (keep class with highest grade)

2.       Term Rank (keep class with highest term)

3.       Transfer rank (do not keep transfer class – use institutional instead)

4.       Course Number Rank (keep class with highest course number)

5.       Credits Rank (keep class with highest credits)

6.       Pass-fail Rank (do not keep pass-fail class)

7.       Repeat Rank (do not keep repeated class)

8.       Incomplete Rank (do not keep incomplete class)

9.       In-progress Rank (do not keep in-progress class)


You can add a generic course entry in the Planner with dash and space



  • If a student was a new freshman in 13-14, they have to take the FYS class.

  • Anyone else can sub whatever they want for the FYS in the 13-14 catalog

  • In the 14-15 catalog, students will have to take the FYS class, or sub it with an extra core class.

Career Choices Wheels


GPA Calculator

How to raise your GPA

Amazing grade calculator


Questions about:

Registration or records questions: Sharla Self (sself@tarleton.edu)

Substitution or degree plans: Emily Treadaway (treadaway@tarleton.edu)






Rosalinda Zamora

Aleisha Taylor



Admissions, Applications

Christy Price


Undergrad Admissions Coordinator

Crystal Derrick


Admissions, General

Cindy Hess


High School transcripts

Jamie Arlt


Transfer Services (Undergraduate Admissions)

Rachel Lawson


TSI and test scores

Receives and posts all electronic test scores

Handles all TSI, posting on student files

Tanya Elston


VA Coordinator

Elizabeth Johnson


Course substitution status

Only one to remove Degree plan hold

Kat Belew

Graduation coordinatorAleisha Taylor9233
Compliance & Catalog Coordinator (Registrar's office)Michele Hancock9387
Registration & Records Coordinator (Registrar's office)Brittany Davis9419
Math CoordinatorMichael Warren 



Student Hold Information

Duck Trax - Student Information - View Holds

Banner proper - WOAHOLD


Texas Orientation Online (TOO):  http://www.tarleton.edu/~genstudies/too.htm


BANNER Abbreviations


  • if student is accepted to the University

  • warning/probation/suspension

  • all transferred classes


SOATEST for Math and English Status and other test scores

SHADEGR to see if a Degree Plan has been filed

WOAHOLD for registration holds


SOAPCOL shows prior college info (transfer information)

SFAALST look up students in any course; grades and class roster

SFAREGQ student's schedule



Rodeo students:  PE credits do not count toward required hours per semester

NCAA Eligibility


New Students

(transfer students with less than 30 hours and First-Time-Freshman) with an “Academic Advising Required” hold

  1. Run student’s New Student Advising Report from Texan Facts

  2. Log into Texan Facts.

  3. Select “Specialized” Tab.

  4. Select “New Student Advising - Individual Student Report”.

  5. Select semester from “Admission Term” drop down menu.

  6. Enter student’s ID#.

  7. Select the submit button.

  8. Print report.

  9. Advise student

  10. Review New Student Advising Report with student [Note: All information in this report was updated at 4:00am i.e., not real-time].

  11. If needed, complete TSI advising (student will need to sign a TSI plan for each area that s/he is TSI liable – see SZATXSI for TSI areas). One copy of completed TSI Plan in binder and one copy to student for each TSI area.

  12. Advise student for selected semester.

  13. Document advising recommendations on SPACMNT screen (Comment Type = 600 & Originator = AS).

  14. Clear “Departmental Advising Required” hold (Set TO date to yesterday).


Transfer Students:  30 hours are required @TSU for transfer students to graduate here (24 must be upper level)

Completed semester credit hour requirement for orientation lowered from 30 to 12.  Once transfer students with more than 12 hours completed have been fully admitted to the university, they will be eligible to be advised by their academic department, the advising center, or the Center for Academic Readiness and Success (should they have a TSI liability) and can pre-register for courses during the regular registration periods once all holds have been cleared.  These students DO NOT attend Transition Week.

If a transfer student with more than 12 hours has not successfully completed an approved First Year Seminar (FYS) experience, student will need to be enrolled in their respective departmental/college Transitioning to University Seminar course (unless exempt based on the approved criteria from the FYS Committee.)  These students WILL attend an ONLINE Transition Week experience facilitated by Student Success and Multicultural Initiatives (SSMI) beginning the second week of school

1st!!  Look under Texan Facts (Under Admissions/Recruiting tab) - Transfer Course by TSU ID

Transfer students

Transcript Request form

Core Curriculum Transfer Guide

Course Substitution form

Texas Common Course Number System (TCCNS)

Tarleton State University Equivalency Sheet


Banner proper

SHATERM shows CPA and transfer classes

SOAPCOL shows prior college info (transfer information)

The following departments prefer that all transfer students >30 hours to be advised in the department.  All transfer students <30



Transfer students with coursework that transfer in as no matches.


1.       Please notify me (Tanya Elston, Ext. 9269) with the student’s information


2.       I will have to look at the transcript and go find the course descriptions for the class in question.  This could take some time to locate depending if the website is user friendly for that school.


3.       If the class is a Math class, I will have to e-mail, Dr. Garza and Kay Teague to receive permission from them to see if the class can be used for TSI purposes only.  If the class is an English, I will have to e-mail Dr. Barrett or Dr. Mollick to receive permission from them if the class can be used for TSI purposes.  I will also notify Dr. Jones so that he can look at the course descriptions as well.


4.       Once I have heard from one of the above mentioned then I will notify the student to let them know if we are able to use the coursework or if they will need to test.  I will also make note of it in SPACMNT for Advising to be able to see.


Transfer services can help with

  1. articulation questions and corrections

  2. changing a "no match" to a direct match

  3. meeting with potential transfer students

  4. Texas Common Course Numbering System

  5. credit for military experience

  6. TSI for transfer students

  7. Dual credit

  8. UA holds for final transcripts

but not Course Substitutions


Transcripts (Web Extender)
  1. Banner Proper
  2. Imaging
  3. Studrec
  4. Their SSN (to get back to that screen each time, choose "Query Results in the blue menu on the left)







Graduation Page


Graduation Application


Timely Graduation info


Deadlines for application are on the application form.  If students do not make the deadline they will not be able to walk.


Print a degree evaluation and attach to  graduation application!


To graduate from Tarleton, students must have:

30 hr. @ TSU

24 must be upper level

12 must be in the field of study


Heather Carrigan - Graduation Coordinator (Registrar's Office)

VA Benefits

All students who are receiving VA educational benefits (whether they are the veteran, dependent or spouse) should file a degree plan regardless of number of hours completed.  This is the only way to ensure that they are not taking courses that do not fit the degree plan.

Elizabeth M. Johnson

VA Coordinator Ext 1830


NCAA Eligibility

  • A student-athlete MUST be enrolled in a minimum of 12 hours per semester

  • A student-athlete must complete 24 countable hours per year

  • 18 countable hours must come from a regular term (fall/spring)

  • Must file a degree plan entering their 5th full-time semester

  • Remedial courses count only freshman year (DGS 100 is never countable)

  • Repeated courses are only countable if the student made an "F" the first time.  If a student needs to repeat a "D" for a certain degree, TSI, etc., it is best done during the summer term.

  • Only 6 hours of PE 100 level courses can be counted (no matter what degree the student is working towards), so it is not a good practice to put stuens in these courses to reach their 12 required hours per semester

Questions:  Contact Cheri Evans at X0560

evans @tarleton.edu

Advisor Check List

  1. Student accepted to the University

    Banner proper, SAAADMS (shows everything)

    If not, direct them to Admissions

    If a returning student, they must be readmitted

  2. Warning/Probation/Suspension

    SHATERM from Banner

  3. First Time Freshman, Current Student, New Transfer Student, Transfer Student with TSU Hours, Returning Student

  4. Texas Success Initiative (TSI) compliant

    p. 23 in catalog

  5. Math and English Status

    p. 59 in catalog

  6. Writing Intensive Class

    p 71 in catalog

  7. Substitution forms

    p. 31 in catalog

  8. Degree Plan Filed (if applicable)

    from Duck Trax, enter student ID

    Student Academic Transcript

    Below 3rd blue shaded area

  9. Financial Aid/Scholarship

  10. Advising Session Documented

    SPACMNT in Banner

Math Plan for Academic Success


Reading Plan for Academic Success


Writing Plan for Academic Success



Choosing a major




Click MyPlan

Click "Account

under "New User" click on "Create Free Account"

Enter license code (contact Career Services for code)

Click Submit

Complete all 4 assessments

Print the results for each assessment AND the "Composite Score"

Call Career Services at 254-9079=0-89 to schedule a Career Counseling appointment.

Bring the results and the Composite Score to your appointment.



Undergraduate Funding Limit Rule:



Required to take FYS course:
1. FTIC students (includes students with dual credit coursework)
2. Transfer students with less than 30 hours of coursework
3. Students under the age of 25

Exempt from FYS course:
1. Students aged 25 or older
2. Transfer students with 30 or more hours of coursework
3. Any other student desiring an exemption based on significant life experiences (ex-military, students with children, etc.) may contact the appropriate dean or department head/academic affairs for determination of eligibility.

Exempt students may satisfy core curriculum requirement for FYS by:
1. Enrolling in Alternative UNIV class*
2. Substitution of another course that is core applicable

What courses transfer for FYS or Alternative UNIV?

Acceptable transfer courses for FYS/ALT UNIV include PSYCH 1100/1300, or EDUC 1100/1300

What is the Alternative UNIV?

*Alternative Learning Frameworks course:
1. One credit hour course to be taken in lieu of FYS
2. Content driven by needs of non-traditional students identified via
     a. best practices in FYE literature for non-traditional students
     b. focus group feedback
3. Possible areas of focus include
     a. research skills
     b. technology skills
     c. navigating university systems (registration, Bb, DW)
4. Initially offered as a generic UNIV university-wide course in fall of 2014
5. Departments/Colleges may formulate content specific alternative UNIV if desired/needed


(Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board Regulations, Chapter 4, Section 4.10 (a) as passed by Senate Bill 1231, 80th Legislature)

Undergraduate students are permitted to drop six courses, including any transfer courses dropped at any other Texas public institution of higher education. Once a student has accumulated six dropped classes, he/she cannot drop any class unless unusual circumstances exist, which must be determined by the dean of enrollment management or vice president for academic affairs.

 For information on the drop limits, visit http://www.tarleton.edu/registrar/limitForDrops.html.

Dropping Developmental Courses

  1. Student receives "Developmental Drop Request" packet
  2. Advisor meets with student to discuss reason for dropping (also discuss progress in other courses and 6 drop limit)
  3. Advisor makes decision whether drop might be appropriate and completes "Advisor's Recommendations Concerning Request to Drop" document and returns to student
  4. Advise student to go to the instructor and have him/her complete "Instructor's Use" section
  5. Advise student to complete the "Action Plan for Success" and the Q Drop Request
  6. Student must then bring all documents to meet (before deadline day) with Faulkner, Jones, or Rodriguez (if student previously has a D, F, or Q in the course, they must meet with Jones).

Financial Aid

Appeal requests

  • Our only responsibility on these is to see how to get the student back on track or how to complete the degree as efficiently as possible.

  • They will complete the form first.  We can send them away if it is not completed.

  • 192 hours is the cut-off # for financial aid

  • Students with less than 30 hours must maintain a 1.3 GPA (cumulative)

  • Students with 30-59 hours must maintain a 1.5 GPA

  • Students with 60 or more hours must maintain a 2.0 GPA (if courses are repeated at TSU, only the best grade counts toward computing GPA)

Other info:

  • If student drops from fulltime status, 25% of pell grant is pulled out (the only levels are 1/2 time, 3/4 time and fulltime

  • $500 scholarship for beginning graduate study

  • Feb 15 is the deadline because that catches all committees.  However, applications are taken any time.



Suspension (Catalog)

2. If possible, read the letter the student received to determine the level of suspension (1st, 2nd, or 3rd).

3. If the student wishes to appeal the suspension and apply for a waiver to attend classes at Tarleton during the semester in question, the student must file an appeal with the Dean of the college in which their major resides. To do this, they must go to the Dean’s office and file the application. If the dean approves the application, the student will be required to sign a contract stating what academic conditions must be met during the semester of the contract for the suspension to be lifted. Academic Advising Services does not advise these students about a schedule unless requested by the dean after a contract has been signed.

4. The student may wish to sit out their suspension for the length of time stated in the letter. Explain to the student that if they choose to do so, they MUST apply for readmission to Tarleton and be accepted before they can be advised and register for classes for a subsequent semester. They will also be required to check in with the Dean’s office to have the Suspension Hold lifted. If you see a student in this situation who has not applied for readmission, send them to the admission office before any advising takes place.

5. Probably the most important thing you can do for these students is advise them on what they need to do to raise their GPA to be in good standing. In Degree Works, you may use the GPA Calc link to help the student see what kind of grades they must make and how long it may take them to reach 2.00 GPA. Remember the repeating the identical course that was failed is the fastest way to improve GPA because grade points are being added, while not adding new hours. Adding new courses makes improving GPA more difficult because hours are added, increasing the total number of grade points needed to affect a net change in GPA.


Teacher Ed Program

Prerequisites for PDI

  • 60 hours

  • COMS with a B or better

  • 4 Eng courses with a C or better

  • EDU 320 with a C or better

  • PSY 220, 303 or HS 300 (Psy 101 not required as pre-requisite)

  • 12 hours with no grade lower than C (and 2.6 mninimum GPA in certification area

  • Overall GPA on degree of 2.6

  • Passing scores on THEA, Accuplacer, Asset, or Compass

  • Completion of dept. screening and recommendation

Interdisciplinary Studies students must come to the Dept. of Curriculum and Instruction for advising when they have 45 hours.



  • have to take the GRE and meet graduate admission standards

  • 2.75 Undergraduate GPA required

  • Summer graduate coursework is offered in Fort Worth and Killeen in the evenings, hybrid format

  • Students will have an opportunity to "practice teach" during the summer

  • After summer coursework, students enter a paid year-long internship with mentor support.

  • Upon successful completion of the internship and state exams, students are recommended for certification



Degree/Degree Code




Concentration Code




English and Languages

Bachelor of Arts/BA


With Teacher Certification/WST1

With Certification



English and Languages

Bachelor of Arts/BA


With Teacher Certification/WST1

With Certification



Agri Services and Dev.

Bachelor of Science/BS

Ag Services and Dev.AGSD

With Teacher Certification/WSTC

With Certification



Agri Services and Dev.

Bachelor of Science/BS

Human Science/


With Certification/WSTC

With Certification



Communication Studies

Bachelor of Science/BS



With Teacher Certification/WSTC

With Certification



Fine Arts

Bachelor of Fine Arts/BFA


With Teacher Certification/WSTC

With Certification



Chem,Geosc,& Evn Sciences

Bachelor of Science/BS



With Teacher Certification/WSTC

With Certification



Engineering and Physics

Bachelor of Science/BS


With Teacher Certification/WSTC

With Certification



Engineering Technology

Bachelor of Applied Arts and Sciences/BAAS

Industrial Occupations/IO

With Teacher Certification/WSTC

With Certification



Engineering Technology

Bachelor of Science/BS

Industrial Technology/IT

With Teacher Certification/WSTC

With Certification




Bachelor of Science/BS



With Teacher Certification/WSTC

With Certification




Students with more than 30 hours do not have to go through Orientation.

Students with orientation holds, after FTF orientations are over, will have an online version available on their Blackboard.

For questions about Orientation, call the office of Student Engagement Ext. 9490

Housing and Meals

Students under 21 with zero hours must have a meal ticket.

Students must spend two academic years in the dorm.  Those with 12-29 hours must spend one academic year in the dorm.

Undergraduate Funding Limit Rule:

We have had several people call the Registrar’s Office that have not heard of the following law/rule and are unsure how to proceed to help the student.  This information is being sent out in order to assist in this process.

The Texas Legislature passed legislation, Education Code, Sect. 54.014, on June 18, 2005, that allows an institution of higher education to charge resident, undergraduate student tuition at a higher rate if the student exceeds a certain number of attempted semester credit hours without obtaining an undergraduate degree.  The rate charged cannot exceed the rate charged to nonresident undergraduate students.

The State pays for about 2/3 of the actual costs needed for the University to be able to teach a class, and because of this significant investment, the State holds Tarleton accountable for making sure that students who start at Tarleton graduate.  Beginning Fall 2007, Tarleton began charging an additional $100.00 per semester credit hour for Texas resident students that have exceeded the following limits:

1.  Students that were enrolled in any Texas public institution prior to Fall 1999 are EXEMPT from this rule.

2.  Students that were enrolled in any Texas public institution between Fall 1999 and Summer 2006 are allowed 45 credit hours in addition to the hours required to complete their degree.  These hours are based on attempted hours.  (Most degrees require 120 hours).

3.  Students that were enrolled in any Texas public institution beginning Fall 2006 are allowed 30 credit hours in addition to the hours required to complete their degree.  These hours are based on attempted hours.   (Most degrees require 120 hours).

Students may file an appeal in an attempt to get these fees removed.  The appeal will have to be filed for each semester the student is enrolled until they graduate.  The Appeal Committee meets three times before each semester and students are notified via email at the end of the previous semester that if they enroll in the next semester, they will be charged excessive fees.  The guidelines for filing an appeal  are located on the Registrar’s website, http://www.tarleton.edu/registrar.  Sharon Johnson is the contact in the Registrar’s Office responsible for overseeing this rule.  Email: sjohnson01@tarleton.edu, Telephone: 254-968-1830.

Items needed to file an appeal:

1.  Completed appeal form submitted to the Registrar’s Office.

2.  A letter from their advisor stating that the courses the student is taking are required for their degree.  If this is the student’s last semester, then the letter should also state that the courses being taken are the only courses needed to complete their degree.

Excessive hours appeal

Melissa Becker asked Sharon Johnson in an email of 7/17/13: I was visiting yesterday with Dr. Vicky Johnson and we wondered if there is limit to the number of times/semesters a student can submit an “excessive hour appeal? “ 

Sharon's answer: 

I am not aware of a number of times.  However, if the student isn't taking the required courses to finish up their degree or changes majors I do not believe the Board will waive the fees or accept the appeal.

Email is in Archive emails




Reorganization of the College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences (COAES).

Department of Agricultural and Consumer Sciences

Department of Environmental and Agricultural Management

Department of Animal Science and Wildlife Management.

ANSC 101 or WLDM 101

A 101 course (e.g., ANSC 101 or WLDM 101) is listed in the requirements for WLDM, ANSC, ANPR, and ANIN majors. We require freshman to take a 101 course, but we do not recommend this course for students who have been enrolled in college for a year or more. We will substitute any other excess hour for this 101 requirement. - Dr. Jim Mueller

ANSC 107 is required for vet school; Dr. Snyder and Dr. Thompson are pre-vet advisors

Animal Science has 3 degrees:

  1. Animal Science:  ideal for pre-vet students (not an official concentration yet); excellent for graduate school preparation; the most rigorous of the three

  2. Animal Production:  best choice for students who struggle with math (Statistics is not required, only 4 hours of biology and 4 hours of chemistry required); requires an internship; very flexible (allows 14 hours of electives in ASC, AGSD, BIOL, or business fields); provides skills to work in entry-level positions in the Ag industry

  3. Animal Industries:  excellent combination of Animal Science and basic Business courses; can build a Business minor into the degree requirements if desired

Wildlife Management has 2 concentrations:

  • Certified Wildlife Biologist (95%); certification is not very critical for most jobs, but meeting the requirements is important for the integrity of the degree; excellent choice for students wanting to work as a natural resource manager in a park or reserve

  • Wildlife Production: (5%) to manage an operation, animal breeding etc.

Have approval for a new program:  BAT in Vet Tech

  • Complete 2 years at a Bet Tech program and complete the upper-level portion at Tarleton
  • BAT will be offered online only
  • in partnership with Cedar Valley College (in Dallas)
  • a small animal program component will be developed for this program

New degree:  Environmental Sciences

  1. Sustainable Environment:  Dr. Wittie
  2. Hydrology
  3. Water Resources
  4. Geo Science
  5. one in LA (Jeff Justice)

Family and Consumer Sciences

BS completion program in Child and Family Studies:  new articulation agreement with McLennan, Cisco (in Abilene) and Weatherford colleges in Child and Family Studies (other ccolleges will have to do course subs)

BS in FCS with 3 Concentrations

  • Child and Family Studies
  • State Teacher Certification
  • Fashion Design and Merchandising



English course

Eng 111

Eng 100

ACT15 or higher14 or lower
SAT400 or higher390 or lower

If student says he/she already has credit for Eng 111 and/or 112, they must provide evidence

If they have evidence:

  • If they have their transcripts or other evidence, they need to see the Dept. Head or designee for an override.
  • Once they have the override, we will note SPACMNT

If they do not have evidence, there are ways to find it:

  • The students' online grades from an institution
  • Faxed copies of transcripts directly to the dept. head, or other means of getting the documents there.

If a student is asserting AP credit, they must provide evidence.  Without it, the Dept. of English will not override a student.

  • If we can verify with information, then the students will be overridden into the course they want and SPACMNT will be updated.
  • If we cannot, the student needs to send this information directly to the Dept. Head and arrangements will be made at that time to place the student in the appropriate class

Don't forget that ENG 100 has a lab!

Students should take their English courses at TSU


Psychology majors



  • require 8 hours of lab science, not 7; would prefer majors to take BIOL 210 & 220

  • Psy 335 is a 4 hour course with a lab

  • PHIL101 is a required course, but doesn't count as core

  • Do not have to have a minor

  • PSY420 is a Capstone, so only should be taken in Sr. year

  • for job ideas, refer them to MyPlan, but note that all Tier I jobs required advanced degrees

  • a minor in Psychology is no longer available

  • Math 108 may be taken to meet the math requirement

  • ENG 309 is no longer a requirement/ replaced with PSY 309


Kinesiology - 3 tracks

  1. All-level certification:  need a second teaching field.  History is ok, but may be more marketable in math or science.  Dept will work with other disciplines to prepare students to test for second teaching field.  If the student wants Secondary Certification to teach any subject along with PE, they need to major in the subject area with KIN as a minor.  If the student wants to teach Junior high, they must major in All-level KIN with an additional teaching field
  2. Athletic Training - must see Dr. Steve Simpson and take KINE 212 their first semester
  3. Fitness Management is best concentration for pre-physical therapy; Dr. Blevins is the advisor for that.  This is the easiest degree.
  4. Take A&P in 2nd year
  5. Sports medicine/athletic training - they want to advise their own:  see Dr. Crews or Dr. Simpson




Biomedical Pre-vet  Dr. Max Sanderford 9162

Pre-Professional  Dr. Phil Sudman  9154

  • Biomedical science is for students who want to go to professional schools.  The 1st 2 years, a BS in Biology and in Biomedical science is the same.
  • After their sophomore year, send them to the department to be advised.
  • Dr. Konvicka is currently the pre med advisor.  Dr. Sanderford will be taking his place.
  • Pre-med is not a degree.  They need to be in 2 lab sciences per semester
  • 2nd year need to be ready for Microbiology
  • Professional schools do not like students to take sciences in summer and particularly not in community college


  • If only 1 chemistry course is needed for the degree, take CHEM 103.  If more than one are required, take CHEM 105, then 108

  • Delaying Chemistry by one semester has an impact on the student due to course rotations.  However, if student is in developmental math courses and want to do Chemistry, wait on the first Chemistry class until they are in College Algebra

  • Encourage students to challenge the Math placement.  It is required for a Chemistry degree that they take Calculus II so it is best for students to be placed in the highest math possible.

  • Send transfer Chemistry majors to the department immediately

  • Chem 105 is a pre-req for CHEM 108, even if it isn't on the degree plan.  Those wishing to skip CHEM 105 can take a placement test in the testing center


Science and Technology

  • Master of science Degree in Medical Laboratory Sciences (MSMLS)
  • Bachelor of Applied Technology in Health Professions Technology (BAT-HPT)
  • Housed in Tarleton's Department of Medical Laboratory Sciences in the Richard C. Shaffer Building in Fort Worth


  • All Pre-Nursing students are to enroll in WSES 1322 rather than the HECO 1322 in order to fulfill their Nutrition/FCS 210 requirement.  If the student has completed Nutrition under the old coding FCS 210 they DO NOT have to retake the course.
  • You CAN take Bio 220 before BIO 219 even though the catalog says it is a pre-requisite.
  • NURS 250 is the application course.  When they are ready for microbiology, they can be in 250.  Advise them until then.
  • Put them in CHEM 103 but not before having Math 107; can take A&P before math
  • Application materials including point system
  • Students need to be in science their first semester
  • College Algebra is no longer required, but MATH 131 has Math107 prerequisite.  Most students would rather take it than to test out
  • To advise in dept., give students the phone number to make an appt.
  • Information sessions on Thursdays at 4pm Nursing Bldg 341
  • To schedule an advising appt., Ext 9139 or 9717
  • email advising:  nursing@tarleton.edu
  • Student is required to have 2.75 GPA in 4 Sciences and 2 Eng. courses
  • For an appointment, the office is 9130 or 9717


  • PREM concentrations should take COMS 301
  • PREM students should see Dr. Wakefield early
  • All COMS majors must have a concentration area
  • They do not need to take all 3 of COMS 101, 102, 301, but only two of them
  • PREM are to be sent to Dr. Gay Wakefield in Davis Hall 215B (do not advise them!)

COMS 301 is now 202!

Social Work

SWK 300 as soon as possible, which is only offered in the fall

SWK 320 requires 60 hours of volunteer work.  Students can negotiate their own placement.l

Interdisciplinary Studies


The following science courses are ONLY for IS majors


BIOL 210-Essential Elements of Biology (3)

                CHEM 102- Essential Elements of Chemistry (3)

                E S 210-Earth Systems Science (3)

                PHYS 102- Essential Elements of Physics (3)

Core science transferred in (or in the case of major change) will sub for Phys 102 and Chem 102, but not for Bio 210 or ES 210.

PD I and II are offered in the summer as long as students can get enough observation hours


EDU 130 (one-hour course):  don't make Jr. or Sr. take that

EDU 2301 = 435 (must sub)



  1. Avoid lab sciences (may be specific to degree when one is chosen)
  2. Gen ed courses
  3. MyPlan and meet with Career services

The University Seminar course for the Undeclared Learning Community is only one semester (taught by Trina Geye). 



Freshman Math Coordinator:  Kay Teague (9533) teague@tarleton (Office #217)

Math advising guides




Math Course

College level

Math 101

Math 100


270 or higher230-269229 or lower


45 or higher38-4437 or lower


60 or higher39-5938 or lower
ACCUPLACER85 or higher63-8462 or lower
ACT20 or higher17-1916 or lower
SAT500 or higher460-499459 or lower


Any student who wants to participate in the 8-week Accelerated Math program MUST come to the Math Dept. to sign an agreement of enrollment for both semesters.  At that time, we will provde them with the CRNs and the overrides to enroll in the 8-week courses.  Our administrative asst. can do this, so it is not necessary that these students see the Math Coordinator

CS 344-Conputer Applications in Analysis, is a new required course for Math majors in the 2011-2012 catalogue and is a fall-only class at this time.  This has been an issue for several students who were unaware.


Prereq for Calculus I

2009-2010 Request to Complete College-Level Math Placement Exam  includes info on placement into advanced math courses

Math and English Placement

Prereq for Calculus I

Entry requirements for MATH 120

  • credit for MATH 118
  • credit for MATH 109 or concurrent enrollment (assuming the student complies with criteria above for enrollment into MATH 109)
  • satisfactory performance on the Calculus Readiness placement test, as indicated in the university advanced mathematics placement testing policy
  • credit for MATH 107 AND satisfactory performance on the Trigonometry placement test, as indicated in the university advanced mathematics placement testing policy

IMPORTANT NOTE: For the sake of expeditious enrollment into Calculus I, a student having credit for MATH 109 should never be advised to take MATH 107 or MATH 118. Similarly, a student having credit for MATH 118 should never be advised to take MATH 107 or MATH 109 . The only circumstance under which such enrollment should be allowed to occur is if the student insists on doing so.

  1. Math course prerequisites are considered rules for enforcement.  However, students are welcome to come to me to request consideration of an override as they wish.
  2. MATH 486.010 Problems: In-depth Secondary Math), MATH 486.020 (Problems: Advanced Numerical Analysis), MATH 488.010 (Undergraduate Research Project), MATH 586.010 (Advanced Problems: Graph Theory), MATH 586.020 (opics: Mathematical Ideas II), and MATH 588 (Thesis) are course sections for which enrollment can only be achieved with department head approval.  Students interested in taking any of these courses are welcome to come visit with me (Javier Garza).
  • Math 108 (Elementary Applied Math) should not be taken by anyone who needs to take additional math courses

If student says he/she already has credit for Math

If a student indicates that they are enrolled for a course this summer, they should contact the Mathematics department. We will

  • provide the student an override into a subsequent course (having the summer course as a prereq) section in the fall semester,

  • advise the student that the override has been provided contingent upon their receiving credit for the summer course and that, should they not receive such credit, they are responsible for modifying their fall enrollment accordingly

  • note this in SPACMNT

If a student indicates that they have received college credit for a course that serves as a prereq for a course in which they need to enroll in the fall, they should contact the Mathematics department. We will

  • provide the student an override into the Fall course section.

  • advise the student that they should send Tarleton an updated transcript asap if they haven't already done so

  • note this in SPACMNT

If a student indicates that they have taken an AP test for which neither they nor Tarleton has been notified of the test results, I would advise the student to proceed through advisement and registration as if they did NOT pass the test. If and when a student receives notification that they have passed the test, they may contact the department; we will in turn ask Tanya to change the MPO accordingly and notify the student of their ability to modify Fall enrollment accordingly.

Industrial Technology

  1. mechanical drafting and design

  2. manufacturing; how to make it better/faster/cheaper

  3. machining/automation and control; plastics

In large companies, making the line more efficient and to implement change

Degree built for smaller companies which don't have separate mechanical/chemical/electrical engineers; often heads of quality/safety


Lab sciences prefered:  Chem 105 and Phys 104

order:  Math 107, then Chem 105, then Math 109, then Phys 104

If student has had Pre-cal in HS and made at least a B, then take placement for higher math

Engineering and Physics

MajorProfessorPhoneEmail Office #Building
CSRichard Reese9163rreese@ tarleton.edu213FScience
CSMircea Agapie0792agapie@tarleton.edu213CScience
ENGRDenise Martinez9924dmartinez@tarleton.edu108 (am)Hydrology
 "                                    "0596dmartinez@tarleton.edu219B (pm)Admin
ENPHFalih Ahmad1894ahmad@tarleton.edu112Hydrology
ENVESudarshan Kurwadkar1910kurwadkar@tarleton.edu107Hydrology
HYDRXixi Wang1964xwang@tarleton.edu111Hydrology
PHYSDaniel Marble9863marble@tarleton.edu114AHydrology

1. Check advisors schedules which should be listed on their doors.
2. Look for an appropriate time to ask to be scheduled for an advising session.
3. Try calling first but if you are unable to connect with your professor via phone, write their email address and request a time for advisement.
(Wait for your response, give credit to the fact that the professor has a busy schedule and may have other engagements, or meetings.

Dr.'s Martinez, Kurwadkar and Ahmad have advising sheets on the main doors to the office over in the Hydrology Building.
Dr. Martinez will advise students in either office. Please note the office hours.

Dr. 's Reese, Agapie, Wang and especially Marble take appointments for their advising, which means they would prefer to accept and approve a
requested time to advise, which means you will have to call or write and get an approvoal for an advising appointment because they will have to
view their schedules before they schedule you a time slot!

Liberal Studies

Older catalogs have more flexibility

Requirements for both Option #1 and Option #2

University Core Curriculum (42)

CIS 103 or 300 (3)

ENGL 309 (3)

LS 498 (3)

Electives (at least 21 hours advanced) (42)

Concentrations MUST pick Option #1 or #2

Total 120 hours


Option #1:  Dual Concentration

Primary Concentration (18 hours)

All 18 hours must be from the same academic discipline.  At least 12 hours of advanced (upper level) courses must be completed with Tarleton.  Must be from an academic discipline different than the secondary concentration.

Secondary Concentration (9 hours)

All 9 hours must be from the same academic discipline.  At least 6 hours of advanced (upper level) courses must be completeed with Tarleton.   Must be from an academic discipline different than the primary concentration.

Option #2:  Three concentrations

Concentration #1 (9 hours)

All 9 hours must be from the same academic discipline.  At least 6 hours of advanced (upper level) courses must be completed with Tarleton.  Must be from an academic discipline different than the other concentrations.

Concentration #2 (9 hours)

All 9 hours must be from the same academic discipline.  At least 6 hours of advanced (upper level) courses must be completed with Tarleton.  Must be from an academic discipline different than the other concentrations.


Concentration #3 (9 hours)

All 9 hours must be from the same academic discipline.  At least 6 hours of advanced (upper level) courses must be completed with Tarleton.  Must be from an academic discipline different than the other concentrations.


Catalog Notes:

Prior to submitting a degree plan, the student must have completed 60 semester hours toward the degree not including developmental courses.

At least 45 hours of advanced (upper level) credit is required for the degree

A minimum of 30 semester hours of work must be completed with Tarleton, of which at least 24 hours must be advanced.

A maximum of 68 semester hours of academic credit will be accepted for degree credit from a two-year institution.

Not more than 30 semester hours of non-standard credit will be counted toward the degree.

A student may count toward the degree not more than 6 hours of Religious Studies credits.

A student may count toward the degree not more than 6 hours of activity Physical Education credits.

A student may not declare a minor in this degree program.

A student will complete the Writing Intensive Program requirements through successful completion of ENGL 309 and LS 498.

         students may no longer “double-dip” courses (e.g., MATH 107 cannot be used as both a general education requirement and in a concentration).

         the field of study (requires a 2.0 GPA) includes CIS 103/300, ENGL 309, LS 498, and the 27 hours of coursework within the concentrations. Therefore, when selecting among completed courses to include in the concentrations, focus of those with higher grades.

         upper-level hours are a little harder to count in DegreeWorks than CAPP (i.e., no upper-level hours report); therefore, you might want to run the student in CAPP to pull the 45 upper-level hours. If the student is eligible for the Fall 2009 catalog, you might want to use this catalog instead of Fall 2010.



  • Put business majors in at least one core business requirement each semester during the first two years.(1st semester, ACC 203)

  • ECO 201 and 202 can be taken in any order; also BG 432 and 433 (Bus. Law I & II)

  • GB 311 (Business Statistics); not a good idea to take concurrently with ACC or FIN courses

  • GB 103 have freshmen business majors take this the first semester and anyone else who is trying to decide about a business major or minor

  • If a student wants a general business degree, use BBA in Interdisciplinary Business, not BS in Business Administration (this came from Killeen)

  • Most common support areas are Small Business/Entrepreneurship, Real Estate and Insurance, Financial Institutions Management, and General Business

  • Business Minors:  three options:  Business (18 hours of coursework from COBA with at least 6 hours adv). Business Administration (prescribed 18 hours), and International Business.

  • Business with Educator Certification need to see Sue Lewis

  • Non-traditional baccalaureate degrees:  Bachelor of Applied Arts and Science (BAAS) and Bachelor of Science - Applied Science (BS APSC) Send to Dan Dudley (9098 or 1930)

  • Repetition of failed courses:  must be repeated under the same prefix (i.e. CIS/ACC 301; MGMT/CIS/ACC 450, IT/MGMT 320)

  • Discourage FTF students (other than more mature students) from taking ACC 203 and ACC 204 online.  Very difficult for those without Acc background


For students needing MGMT 422 the spring semester, please have your folks substitute MGMT 414

For students needing MGMT 350, appropriate substitution is MGMT 402



DH:  Jason Sharp (Interim) (x-9738 or Sharon Iley at x-9047)

  • Difference between CIS and CS link (also 3 hrs of math vs. 18 hrs of math)
  • CIS majors are not required to take CIS 103; their 1st course is CIS 110
  • Software Engineering and Database Design is not offered here (that was from Killeen)
  • Non-traditional baccalaureate degrees:  Bachelor of Applied Arts and Science (BAAS) and Bachelor of Science - Applied Science (BS APSC) Send to Jason Sharp/Robin Wells (9047)

Rusty, can you go ahead and let folks in advising know that the BS degree is more common than the BBA degree in our area.  The difference between the two is the BBA focuses mostly on business classes and has fewer CIS classes.  The BS has fewer business classes and more CIS classes.  We have a slew of lower level students right now that have been advised into the BBA but very few of them will actually end up there.  From an advising standpoint, that would potentially put them in classes that they don’t need for their degree plan.   - Dr. Leah Schultz

Accounting, Finance and Economics

DH:  Steve Steed (x-9645 or Pam Hecox at x-9331)

  • Economics majors should take ECO 201 their first semester

  • ACC 203, then 204, then encourage FIN 301 to be taken immediately after the ACC courses (content carryover)

  • Accounting majors do not have to take ACC 204

  • Degree plans for Accounting and Finance should be BBA, not BS.  If a student specifically wants a BS, they need to see Dr. Steed.

  • Generally, all our degrees should be BBA - BS is used for students seeking dual degrees (example: Ag and Finance).  The coursework is identical for both degrees.

  • EC"O 201 will double dip for the S?BS requirement for all degrees EXCEPT Economics


Management, Marketing, and Administrative Services

DH: Rusty Freed (x-9332, Carolyn Smith at x-9098, or Jodie Dearing at x-9055)

  • Difference between BS and BBA in Management:  BS degree has an additional quantitative Management requirement and no advanced COMS or ACC/FIN/ECO requirement.  Offers a bit more flexibility with electives.

  • BBA in Human Resource Management include required HR MGMT courses GB 434 (Employment Law - offered fall only)

  • Administrative Systems is an office management-related degree.  Use the BS ADMS without Educator Cert if they do not want to teach.

  • For MKTG majors, please DISCOURAGE students attempting to enroll in MKTG 416 and GB 459 during the same semester.  Both are capstones and both are WI

  • For BS Management needing to complete MGMT 422 during the Spring 2012 semester, acceptable substitutions are:

MGMT 486 - 20/21/22 or Section 30/31/32

Occupational Safety and Health

Offered as 1st and 2nd 8 Week sessions ONLINE

(Cross-listed with the Engineering Department)




MGMT 320

Industrial Safety

ONLINE (Regular 16 week course)






Departmental Advisors


The following departments require their majors to see them before registration for classes and to remove Departmental Advising holds:


Family and Consumer Sciences

Dr. Kimberly Bellah  9194

Dr. Karol Blaylock  9194

Ms. Minsu Kim  9881

Ms. Paula McKeehan  9195

General StudiesDr. Dennis Jones 9820

Curriculum & Instruction (All Cert.)

Dr. Ann Calahan 9933 (320G)

Specific advisorsAdvisorList

Social Sciences


Environmental Sciences:Policy and Leadership

8-12 Certification

History (Jrs./Srs. those needing degree plans)

Political Science (Jrs./Srs. those needing degree plans)


Dr. Jeff Justice  1827

Dr. Jeff Justice

Dr. Pat Zelman  9629



Fine Arts


Digital Design




Ms. Sharon Seelig  0742

Mr. Chris Ireland 9274

Dr. Chuck Rives  9240

Mr. Mark Holtorf  9888


Public Relations/Event Management (PREM)

Do not advise them!!



Dr. Charlie Howard

Dr. Gay Wakefield



 Biomedical Sciences-Pre Vet, Pre Dent & Pre-Med

                        Pre-Physical Therapy


Dr. Max Sanderford  9162

Dr. Phil Sudman  9154

Dr. Calahan


PreMed, Pre-Pharm



Professional and Biochemistry

Environmental Science & Hydrogeology


Dr. Rueben Walter 1906

Mr. Peter Bell  9273

Dr. Linda Schultz  9146

Dr. Arthur Low  9144

Dr. Carol Thompson  9739

Engineering Technology

Dr. George Mollick  9012

Engineering & Physics





Environmental Engineering



Dr. Daniel Marble  9863 (Hyd 114A)

Dr. Richard Reese  9163 (Sci 213F)

Dr. Mircea Agapie  0792 (Sci 213C)

Dr. Denise Martinez  9924 (Hyd 108)

Dr. Sudarshan Kurwadkar  1910 (Hyd 107)

Dr. Xixi Wang  1964 (Hyd 111)


Dr. Elaine Evans  9851


Animal Science Pre-vet

Dr. Snyder or Lambert



Department Heads

Environmental and Agricultural Management

Dr. Roger Wittie Autry 201

Agriculture and Consumer Sciences

Dr. David Drueckhammer Autry 105

Dr. Kim Bellah (Asst.) Autry 106

Animal Science and Wildlife Management

Dr. Barry Lambert Autry 309D



Accounting, Finance, and Economics

Dr. Steve Steed BUS 125

Computer Information Systems

Dr. Jason Sharp BUS 150

Management, Marketing, and Administrative Systems

Dr. Rusty Freed BUS 130



Curriculum & Instruction

Dr. Ann Calahan 320G

Education Leadership & Policy Studies

Dr. Betty Jo Monk


Dr. Steve Crews WisdomGym 131

Psychology & Counseling

Dr. David Weissenburger Math 301B



English/Foreign Languages

Dr. Jeanelle Barrett OAG 327

Fine Arts

Dr. Teresa Davidian FA 105B

Social Sciences

Dr. Malcolm Cross OAG 355

Sociology, Social Work, and Criminal Justice

Dr. James Vardalis OAG 375

Communication Studies

Dr. Charles Howard Davis 410A



Biological Sciences

Dr. John Calahan  SCI 203C

Chemistry, Geosciences, and Environmental Science

Dr. Bethany Hinga SCI 117C

Engineering and Physics

Dr. Daniel Marble HYEG 114A or SCI 213E

Engineering Technology

Dr. George Mollick IT 100C


Dr. Bryant Wyatt MATH 142

Medical Laboratory Sciences

Dr. Sally Lewis MTC/Ft. Worth 106


Dr. Elaine Evans NURCT 118B




Go to Start

Right Click on My Computer

Click on Map Network Drive…

When the box pops up  type in:








ENGL 111

ENGL 1301

Composition I

ENGL 112

ENGL 1302

Composition II

Choose one of the following:



COMS 101

COMM 1311

Intro to Speech Communications

COMS 102

COMM 1315

Public Speaking

COMS 202

COMM 2302 (1321 Transfer #)

Business and Professional Speaking


MATH 107

MATH 1314

College Algebra

MATH 108

MATH 1332

Contemporary Mathematics I

MATH 110

MATH 1324

Math for Business & Social Science  I

MATH 118

MATH 2412

Precalculus Math

MATH 120

MATH 2413

Calculus I

MATH 131

MATH 1342

Elementary Statistical Methods


(See Academic Department for possible major-specific requirements)

BIOL 120

BIOL 1406

Biology for Science Majors I

BIOL 121

BIOL 1407

Biology for Science Majors II

BIOL 219

BIOL 2401

Anatomy & Physiology I

BIOL 220

BIOL 2402

Anatomy & Physiology II

CHEM 102

CHEM 1302  (C&I Majors only)

Essential Elementary of Chemistry

CHEM 103

CHEM 1407

Fundamentals of Chemistry

CHEM 105

CHEM 1411

General Chemistry I

CHEM 108

CHEM 1412

General Chemistry II

E S 210

EASC 2310  (C&I Majors only)

Earth Systems Sciences

GEOL 105

GEOL 1403 cannot be used with GEOL 1408

Physical Geology

GEOL 106

GEOL 1404

Historical Geology

GEOL 107

GEOL 1407

Introduction to Environmental Science

GEOL 108

GEOL 1408 cannot be used with GEOL 1403

Natural Disasters

PHYS 101

PHYS 1410

Great Ideas of Physics

PHYS 102

PHYS 1302 (C&I Majors only)

Essential Elements of Physics

PHYS 103

PHYS 1410

Introductory Astronomy I

PHYS 104

PHYS 1401

College Physics I

PHYS 105

PHYS 1402

College Physics II

PHYS 113

PHYS 1403

Stars and Galaxies

PHYS 122

PHYS 2425

University Physics I

PHYS 242

PHYS 2426

University Physics II


(See Academic Department for possible major-specific requirements)

PHIL 101

PHIL 1301

Introduction to Philosophy

ENGL 210

ENGL 2310

The Short Story

ENGL 240

ENGL 2340

Literature and Film

ENGL 220

ENGL 2320

Introduction to Literature

ENGL 250

ENGL 2350

Backgrounds of Western Literature

HIST 101

HIST 2321

World Civilizations I

HIST 102

HIST 2322

World Civilizations II


Choose one of the following:



ART 131

ARTS 1301

Art Appreciation

ART 231

ARTS 1303

Art History I

ART 232

ARTS 1304

Art History II

ART 331

ARTS 3331

Art History of America

F A 101

HUMA 1315

Fine Arts Appreciation

F A 135

FINA 1335

Visual and Theatre Arts

F A 160

FINA 1360

The Art of Film

MUSC 120

MUSI 1310

Popular Music in America

MUSC 130

MUSI 1306

Music Appreciation

MUSC 113

MUSI 1303

Fundamentals of Music

MUSC 325

MUSI 3325

Jazz History

THEA 105

DRAM 1310

Introduction to Theatre

THEA 207

DRAM 2361

History of Theatre I

THEA 404

THEA 4304

Theatre and Criticism


HIST 201

HIST 1301

United States History I

HIST 202

HIST 1302

United States History II


POLS 201

GOVT 2305

Federal Government

POLS 202

GOVT 2306

Texas Government


(See Academic Department for possible major-specific requirements)

A EC 105

AGEC 2317

Introductory Agricultural Economics

ECO 101

ECON 1301

Introduction to Economics

ECO 201

ECON 2301

Principles of Macroeconomics

ENGR 203


Engineering Economy

GEOG 110

GEOG 1303

World Regional Geography

GEOG 120

GEOG 1320

Introduction to Human Geography

GEOG 201

GEOG 2301

Economic Geography

PHIL 201

PHIL 2303

Introduction to Logic

PHIL 301

PHIL 3301

Ethics in the Professions

PSY 101

PSYC 2301

General Psychology

SOC 201

SOCI 1301

Introductory Sociology

ARCH 201

ANTH 2302

Introduction to Archeology

SOC 101

ANTH 2351

Cultural Anthropology





First Year Seminar

College/Discipline  Specific Course